28. Collect and record stories about my family from my grandparents
29. Break the habit of picking at the skin around my nails. Youch! It hurts!
30. Bungy jump from the world's tallest bungy jump from Bloukrans bridge in South Africa.
31. Have a “signature dish”—something that everyone will ask me to bring to a potluck. 32. Go ice fishing. 33. Get all of my amazing girlfriends across the nation together for an unforgettable weekend. 34. Spend a month in the woods with nothing but the pack on my back and whatever I can carry in it. 35. Use the phrase “the last time I was in Thailand” in a completely legitimate way. 36. Own my own company. 37. Learn how to clean and cook and entire fish. 38. Play with a baby elephant
41. Live in a foreigncountry 42. Play tennis at a 4.0 level (right now I'm a measly 2.75) 43. Learn the names of the constellations 44. Beat my Mom at Scrabble (never. going. to happen.) 45. Start a compost pile 46. Buy a gorgeous piece of stained glass 47. Learn how to be a good haggler 48. Wear a two-piece with ease again 49. Be an extra in a movie 50. Learn how to play chess
Indonesia, while it is an incredibly pain to get to, is amazingly easy to travel in. The people are friendly, many speak English, crime is low; in all, this is one of the easiest, and cheapest, countries I've ever been to. That said, there have been some moments of confusion. Today at lunch Chris asked for "chuchi" when he really meant "chumi chumi". The waitress looked at him strangely for a few seconds so Chris tried again in English, "do you have squid?". The waitress laughed and said "you just asked for laundry for lunch!" We were the (good-humored) joke of the restaurant for the rest of the meal. But Chris did get a big bowl of fresh squid curry which was delicious. I took a picture but some how I deleted it off my camera (FAIL)
Indonesia food is simple but delicious.
Nasi Goring Ikan-- Fried Rice with seafood $3
Fresh caught tuna with rice and veggies $4.50
Gado Gado-- Stir fried veggies with tempe and peanut sauce $2
Pineapple and coconut cake $0.70
Honey lemon ginger green drink. It was a ridiculously long name but it was delicious and so refreshing after a long hot walk
My notoriously temperamental tummy has been shockingly quiet here despite unsafe drinking water and a barrage of new foods. My goal is to take a cooking class in every country Chris and I visit. I plan on taking a class in about two weeks in Jogjakarta on Java Island (the same island Jakarta is on).
After spending my college years and first years of being an adult (ack!) in Dallas I packed my things and backpacked through Europe alone for 3 months. I then headed to culinary school at Johnson & Wales. Finally before tackling a career and a morgage I'm seeing the world! Want to know more? Read away! You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org !